[Techtalk] removing installed programs

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Sun Oct 26 15:05:43 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 09:31, Noir wrote:

> When we want to un-install a program in RHL we usually use rpm -e & the
> rest is taken care of. But say we have installed a program from the source
> (gz, Z, bzip2, tar, make, makefile, etc) and now the whole file is
> scattered around the file system.

I find KConfigure (found at www.kde.com and I think they have a link to
it elsewhere on the net) to really be useful for handling compiling,
installing and uninstalling. What you do is navigate to the source
directory (where you extracted the files) and choose the Configure or
Makefile. Then on the last screen before you press start, there's this
LOOOOONNNG bar where you can drop down and choose "uninstall".

As someone mentioned, it's best to always keep your source tree. I
usually stick those dirs in /usr/src/ so I know where to find them.

One of the apps I had downloaded (but didn't get to install) had
instaructions on how to make an SRPM (Source RPM) from it. Sounded like
too much work, though.

Also, if you want a good RPM installer, that even shows descriptions,
try RPM GUI by Ioannis Barakos.

Both apps mentioned are KDE apps and quite useful. I am not sure if
they'd work under Gnome or not though. They both have to be compiled.

--
TechChiq
Linux User #331707 Machine #216034 (http://counter.li.org)