[Techtalk] removing installed programs

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Sun Oct 26 10:51:48 EST 2003

Quoting Noir <acknak_halflife at yahoo.co.uk>:

> But say we have installed a program from the
> source
> (gz, Z, bzip2, tar, make, makefile, etc) and now the whole file is
> scattered around the file system. Say, some files are in /usr/local/bin
> /usr/bin && some are in /etc/ (conf files) && yet some are in
> /etc/program_name/....|| /usr/share/doc/program_name/
>
> So, if we want to delete/ remove the program altogether how will we do
> it?

One approach is to use checkinstall
(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/index.php)... I have verified
it's accuracy, but the couple of times I've used it, it appears to do the
right thing.

The approach I use most often is completely manual.  I run make -n install,
pipe the output to a file, locate all of the installed files in the output
and manually remove them.  Note:  this will only be accurate if you run
make -n on the same configuration used for the original make install.

--
Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com