[Techtalk] Need a software licensing expert

Erin Mulder meara at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Oct 25 23:08:11 EST 2003

Hi Brenda,

If you wrote all of the code, then you own the copyright and can release
it as many times as you like under whatever licenses you choose.   You
can't prevent people who already got it under GPL from continuing to use
it under that license, but you can certainly give/license it to others
under different terms.

There are lots of projects out there that dual license.   Some offer
code under both GPL and BSD style licenses.   Others offer a choice
between GPL for free or a non-viral commercial license.   The biggest
problem in switching a license is usually tracking down all the
contributors and getting their permission (not a problem if it was all
written by you).

Cheers,
Erin