[Techtalk] Need a software licensing expert

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Sat Oct 25 09:53:54 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 09:28, Brenda Bell wrote:
> However, I can't find any information that definitively states that it's
> legal to arbitrarily change the license from GPL to LGPL... or whether
> there are any special steps I need to take in order to do so.

I knew of GPL, of course, but I am not familiar with LGPL? What's that
and how does it differ from normal GPL?

FWIW, I don't know much about licensing, but I used to do artwork for
one place where you could pick your own licenses, or use a pre-made.
However, they wouldn't let you change or delete a license because they
claim it wasn't "legal" - in case someone bought a piece and then you
change the license on them and they wouldn't even know. But that's for
commercial stuff.

As for free stuff, I don't know if it matters. Even commerical,
actually. Look at how many times other companies and people change
licenses on a product and expect people to just magially "know" (ie. M$
for instance). I've written a freeware windows application and then I
updated it from 1.1b to 2.0 and made 2.0 shareware, purchasable via a
friend's company. I never really had any doubts or thoughts about the
licensing.

Maybe if you could just make some minor enhancements, enough for a
version update (maybe from .9 to 1.0 or .8 to .9 or something like that)
then re-release THAT version with a new license, it might be just as
good. In fact, I'm not sure but releasing it with a new license scheme
may qualify as a "version update"...?

--
TechChiq
Linux User #331707 Machine #216034 (http://counter.li.org)