[Techtalk] Resolver is Timing Out Too Quickly

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Tue Oct 21 05:00:50 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,

   I recently upgraded to a Debian stock 2.4 kernel as well as using a
new firewall/router (dedicated device). Either one of these is causing
DNS lookups to time-out too quickly and normal sights (yahoo.com,
google.com, etc.) are often reported as being non-existent until the
browser flushes its cache.

   Is there some parameter I can adjust (such as in /proc/sys/net) so
as to lengthen the time before the resolver reports not finding a host
name?

   Thank you,
   Elizabeth