[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Mon Oct 20 16:47:11 EST 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:07:26AM +0200, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> Gina Lanik wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:29:02AM -0500, Julie wrote:
> >[...]
> >>Speaking of which, how reliable are LVM and ReiserFS?
> >>I just added a 250MB Maxtor I'm planning to use with
> >>them and want to know how paranoid I have to be about
> >>the data disappearing ...
> >
> >I'd rather use ext3 than ReiserFS because if the journal is broken you can
> >still use the FS as ext2 which you won't be able to with ReiserFS IIRC.
> >
> >LVM works like a charm, we use it in production enviroment and no problems
> >so far.
>
> I've used reiserfs now since 2.4 came out with it. Never had problems,
> except when hardware went over to never-never land.
> I read the reiserfs list, and only times i can remember the journal to
> go broken is with HW breaking. At that time its time to start exchanging
> disks in my view. That said, i still run my important data on mirrored
> disks. Some with HW raid controller, some SW mirror.
> Seen several reports of LVM and reiserfs combinations on the list, and
> those went well. No personal experience though. I do not use LVM.

Good to know! I personally don't have much experience with ReiserFS, what I
reported were things some fellow admins and/or friends told me, sorry if
that caused some confusion.

Cheers,

Gina
--
Gina Lanik                      :: LinuxChix member
SysAdmin                        :: http://www.linuxchix.org/