[Techtalk] Broken shutdown and reboot

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Sun Oct 19 23:29:40 EST 2003

I have no idea what I messed up, but I can no longer do a clean shutdown or
reboot (or init 0 and init 6).  Everything starts out okay, but at some
point I get a message that says "INIT:  No more process left in this run
level".  I've googled, but none of the posts seems to apply to me.

I'm having the problem on Mandrake 9.1; I've compared /etc/rc.d/init.0 to
my working Mandrake 8.2 system and they're identical.  As best as I can
remember, the only things I've done since my last clean reboot are as follows:

1)  I installed daemontools as a prerequisite for installing qmail.
Because I haven't yet configured the services, the sv line in inittab was
causing excessive respawn messages, so I commented out the sv line temporarily.

2)  I connected the machine to a different UPS... but I have not configured
anything to use the UPS interface, nor am I using any power management
stuff so I don't think this would have any effect.

3)  I switched my monitor, keyboard and mouse (both USB) from a direct
connection to a KVM switch.  Had to load hid.o, but mouse and keyboard
appear to be functioning correctly so I don't think this is causing the
problem.

4)  I installed some packages required for ldap authentiation and started
minimal configuration... but unix auth is still enabled.

Ideas?

--
Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com