[Techtalk] network trouble

Dominik Schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Sun Oct 19 19:44:26 EST 2003

Hi all,

Dennis Wheeler napsal(a):

>Yes, the routing table was fine, except of an odd entry on the internal
>interface for 169.254.0.0.  I couldn't find which config file was adding
>that entry (rh9).

IP addresses from this range are assigned if an interface
is configured to get its address via DHCP but no DHCP server is
found. (see RFC3330, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt,
"Special-Use IPv4 Addresses")

I have the same problem at work with RedHat machines that have
two NICs but only one is active (ONBOOT=yes). If the other one is
inactive and configured to use DHCP, the route for the link-local range is
still set up.
I'd very much like to see this resolved, so if you have a
solution, please tell me. :-)

regards,
dominik