[Techtalk] How do I Tarball with spaces in filenames and dirs?

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 19 03:35:19 EST 2003

tar -cRvf /home/ashleigh/test.tar my_stuff

i did that from a directory with files that have spaces in the names,
and it seems to have worked fine.  leave out the "v" switch if you don't
want verbose.  replace the home/ash/test.tar with where you want the
archive to go, and my_stuff with the dir you want to tarball (or a * if
you want to do all the dirs in your current dir).  it'll be recursive
since my_stuff is a dir (or since * matches dirs).

--ash