[Techtalk] Mandrake 9.2

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Sat Oct 18 18:28:01 EST 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:00:13 -0400
Brenda Bell <k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com> wrote:

> I'll explain... I've had a love/hate relationship as far as Drake releases
> go -- 7.0 was a little flaky, 7.1 was great, 8.1 was a little flaky, 8.2
> was great.  I'm in the middle of building a new box with 9.1 which appears
> to be pretty good, but trying to decide whether I should do 9.2 instead
> since this box isn't yet running in production mode.  Final configuration
> will include Apache2, qmail and general network services (smb, dhcp, ntp,
> ssh).
>
> That said... just wondering whether there was anything that struck you as
> being particularly bad (or good) and whether you had any install issues.
> My hardware is pretty standard (server-grade brand-name stuff, no weird
> end-user devices) so I've historically had great results with the .2
> releases.

AHHHHH :-) Right. I get what you're asking.

Well, so far so good. There are no major changes between 9.1 and 9.2, unlike
the jump from the 8 to 9 series, where they rewrote a whole heap of stuff,
starting right from the installer through to all the drak* tools.

There's nothing really "new" in this release, its more a consolidation of
9.1 (as I guess a point release should be) as opposed to a heap of shiny new
toys.

Because I tend to follow Cooker, I see the changes from one release to
another far more grandually than someone who jumps from 9.1 to 9.2, so bear
that in mind when listening to me :-)

I had no install issues at all, as far as it doing anything wrong. My
personal grievances with the installer are more to do with usability than
its accuracy.

The only negative thing I can say about mdk is its blasted nuisance of an
msec programme.

I havent included much detail here, if you want to know specifics, then let
me know. I'm happy to waffle on in great detail.

But in summary, I see no issues in installing 9.2, but this is a very
personal opinion cause I use mdk as a desktop, whereas you use it as a
server.

Hamster