[Techtalk] Re: Sysklogd-1.4.1?

mike at mikebell.org mike at mikebell.org
Fri Oct 17 03:36:08 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 05:46:55PM -0700, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> I've been trying to compile the sysklogd-1.4.1 package on kernel 2.6.0-test7
> for the past 2 days, with no luck. The system is a chrooted partially
> finished custom linux build running on my main system which is a heavily
> modified RH9. None of the other software has problems compiling, but each
> time the make command is issued I'm getting large amounts of errors which
> kill the build. Though none of the other programs had problems compiling, I'm
> seeing a lot of problems with some of the linux-2.6.0-test7 header files this
> package is trying to use.. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
> since my new linux system build is on hold until I can get this package
> working.

You've got /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test7/include/linux as
/usr/include/linux ? There's your problem, don't do that.

There's only one app that has any business looking at kernel headers,
and that's glibc. Even with glibc there's some debate as to whether it
should be allowed to do so. When you compile glibc, configure it using
--with-kernel=2.6.0 (I think that's the option) and tell it where to
find the headers for your 2.6 kernel. That'll make you a glibc that's
not backward compatible with anything prior to 2.6. Then the userspace
headers it installs should be suitable for all your 2.6 compatible needs.

Kernel people are most unforgiving of people who try to use the kernel
headers in userspace and wind up with problems. Just ask google.