[Techtalk] GnuPG Key Copy

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Oct 16 15:08:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:34:43PM +1000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Noir thought:
> I have just copied (cp -R) all the files from my "~/.gnupg" directory to my
> windows section as I need to burn my keys.

> I was just wondering if I copy these files (pub & pvt. keys) to some other
> user's home directory later & in some other Unix flavor from the CD, would
> it still work?

You would do better to make a tar archive of them and put that on CD.
Moving the files to an MS Windows partition will lose their *nix
attributes (like permissions etc) and certain security oriented programs
won't accept files with the wrong permissions /ownership.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)