[Techtalk] Looking for Modem Recommendations

Robyn Manning rmanning at adam.com.au
Mon Oct 13 20:02:21 EST 2003

Hi

Most modem recommendations with Linux are for external modems. This is
because most internal modems are winmodems. You could check out your
choice of internal modem at www.linmodems.org there are some
compatability lists somewhere. Lucent and Connexant Chipsets have some
success in Linux on internal modems.

As far as USB devices are concerned you should check out
www.linux-usb.org

Google is also your friend as it searches lots of mailing lists etc.
Enter your devices details along with linux and then search. See what
you come up with, some of it may be experimental and some may be
working. As far as experimental goes the risk is yours, I tried an
experimental drivers for my USB card reader. It only involved 1 file to
be changed from my normal installation and I just made a backup of it
replaced it with the experimental one and my card reader worked
perfectly. I wrote to the developer with my info and have helped out a
couple of people since with similar hardware.

HTH

Robyn