[Techtalk] CD-ROM drive

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Fri Oct 10 09:54:32 EST 2003

Hanlie Pretorius wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I've cleaned the drive with those special CDs but that didn't help.
>
>Our PC Support people tell me that I should just have it replaced
>because drives are so cheap. I thought that I'd try to get some informed
>(!) help before I do that.

Sounds like good advice. If those PC support people are independent from
a shop, its likely the advice is neutral. And depending on the size of
your company/work place, they tend to see a lot.

>Does anyone have any suggestions? And how do I get to the BIOS before
>GRUB takes over?

Depends on the system/BIOS you have. The most used seems to be to hit
the del key during memory test. The second seems to use the F2 key for
this purpose.

Good Luck,

Rudy