[Techtalk] slackware on laptops

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Oct 6 17:29:48 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:41:38PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
iriXx thought:

> Conor Daly wrote:
>
> > LT modems are usually to be found on ttyS14 IIRC.  The device won't be
> > there until the module is loaded and there's a link to /dev/ttyS14 from
> > /dev/modem.
>
> ok, i had a look at the script and its done that much - its just not
> installing the module because the script has a different path to where
> Slackware puts its modules. i presume i should put it in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/build/net/ ? it wants
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/misc/ which i dont have. but maybe i dont need it at
> all as long as the symlink is correct.

The copy I have uses:

/lib/modules/<kernel.version>/ltmodem/

and a 'depmod -a' to work out dependencies.  There is a '1st.README' file
with the sources which details the installation.  It might be worth poking
through that.  I seem to remember (I was testing this for another machine,
my own modem is a real one) having to do some voodoo to get things going.
Maybe even a reboot!

> i dont know what chipset i have, but its a Compaq Armada M700.

as root, 'lspci' should tell you.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)