[Techtalk] a distro for old machines...

ed orphan millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Sun Nov 30 10:28:16 EST 2003

Project RULE is attempting to run modern Linux
software in 32 Meg ram systems, like the 486.
It is aimed at the Third World, but you might
find it useful too.  Their English language site is:
http://www.rule-project.org/en
   The iso file is at:
http://www.rule-project.org/en/download.php
    There is a form at the site for feedback.
They'd like to know what works on what system
and what doesn't work so they can perfect it.
    I find Slackware 3.6 works OK on a 486 with
32 Megs ram. For X I use fvwm95 and the 4.7
Netscape.  But that's all old stuff. RULE is trying
to get the new functionality, like USB, to work
on old hardware.