[Techtalk] Non-delivery?

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Nov 25 23:23:47 EST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 15:35, PCasper wrote:
> Question for the email-literate people....
>
> I'm finding that a number of emails to me are being bounced... only from a
> certain domain (comcast, who provides cable access to this area)
>
> The error which comes back when the email is bounced is as follows:
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; comcast.net
> Arrival-Date: 20 Nov 2003  5:57:04 +0000
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; <sylph at cyber-dyne.com>
> Action: failed
> address status
> Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:57:12 -0000
>

> Subject: Returned mail: delivery problems encountered
>

> A message (from <koocheekoo at comcast.net>) was received at 20 Nov 2003
> 5:57:04 +0000.
>
> The following addresses had delivery problems:
>
> <sylph at cyber-dyne.com>
> Permanent Failure: Other address status
> Delivery last attempted at Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:57:12 -0000

I suspect that it is a problem at comcast.net since at no point does it look
like there was a smtp conversation with a host at cyber-dyne.com.

Also, I tested a direct connection using telnet to the
mail-server at cyber-dyne.com, and it all seemed to go through okay.

I've have seen people reject mail based on the host given in the helo or ehlo
command not matching the reverse dns lookup, so I wanted to test that, but
that was okay.

If you like there are a couple of other tests I could do, but I should
probably ask for your permission first Poppy, since otherwise you will be
wondering what these stange badly formed mail are doing in your inbox.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox