[Techtalk] Resizing A Partition?

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Nov 23 11:29:16 EST 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 07:29, Raquel Rice wrote:
> This was one thing I failed to mention.  The hard disk is 80 GB,
> with about 70 GB non-partitioned.

Well, that changes things somewhat!

You have plenty of scope to make pretty much whatever changes you want in a
completely reversible fashion.

There are basically two choices, depending on what you want to do with the
space used by the current /usr partition.

1.  Create a new /usr partition, and allocate the space from the old /usr
partition to the one immediately preceeding it (or just leave that
unallocated).

2.  Create several new partitions for your existing data (exact ones depend on
your current partition structure) and move them.  Remove old partitions and
create with desired sizes.  Move the data back again.

The latter is a bit harder than the former, and is probably not worth the
effort unless you have a particular reason for wanting that.

Although not quite your situation, I would suggest reading the 'Hard Disk
Upgrade Mini How-to'. Many of the steps are similar. (It is normally at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/, but tldp.org seems to be having
DNS problems - try http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/
instead or one of the many other mirrors).

Post back if this is unclear, preferably with output of fdisk and either df or
fstab.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--