[Techtalk] Extended Partitions - I found it!

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 19 21:39:38 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 18:48, Hamster wrote:
> All I want to know is the difference between the 0x05 and 0x85 extended
> partition types.

I googled this for you and did some more research. Here's my findings:

I found out for sure that:

0x85   Linux extended partition type
0x05   DOS extended partition type

Here's a link that you might find useful:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/158/2000/6/0/3916870/

Also, I googled using 0x85 "extended partition" to find more info.

So basically, you want to set that extended partition type to 0x85, and
not 0x05. I remember reading how DOS addigns parititons to drive
letters. Linux assigns partitions as volumes. Remember the LinuxChix
tutorial on Unix/Linux that Meredydd has at
http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/filesystem/Lesson1.html You'll
see what I mean on how Linux uses partitions. So you should always use
0x85 extended partition type for your linux partitions.

I think I got it right this time. :)

TechChiq
Home Page: http://members.fortunecity.com/techchiq/
Linux User # 331707, Machine # 216034 (http://counter.li.org)