[Techtalk] finding libs not installed from packages

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sat Nov 15 23:31:36 EST 2003

Depends whether you still have the sources lying about. If so, I'd
recommend using checkinstall (very good utility, and, of course, a MUST
for anyone who uses Slackware - best to use it to start with when you
install anything from source) to make the fake packages. If you don't
have the sources lying about, then I don't think there's any way of
telling, with the exception of checking whether each file is accounted
for by the package manager (along the lines of Debian's "cruft"
utility) and then creating packages manually.

Alternatively, if you've used ./configure defaults, then you can always
try seeing what's in /usr/local, and using that to tell whether it's
packaged or not, but that's roughly equivalent to the cruft method.

Meredydd