[Techtalk] IPTables

Jennifer Davis davi0302 at algonquinc.on.ca
Tue Nov 4 18:28:19 EST 2003

Hi:

I just upgraded my Slackware router to 9.1 and well, I kind of
regret it.  The old OS was doing fine; I just added a new hard drive so I
thought it was a good time to mess with a good thing.

Up until now, I used IPchains for my NAT/Firewall.  When I tried
to run my PMFirewall script, it wouldn't work for me.  I guess after 34
months with the 2.4 kernel, Slack dropped support for IPChains.

I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way of setting up
IPTables for Slackware.  Ideally it would install via the console as this
machine does not do X.  Otherwise, is there a way to make my distro
backwareds compatible?  I tried reinstalling the IPChains packages and
that didn't work.  I'm pulling my hair out on this one.  I can get into my
server from the outside.  I can ssh to the server from the inside, but I
am getting frustrated.  It's sad really, I'm sure I could just read my
text to learn to set up NAT/Firewalling on W2000.  I am working on a
paper in my networking [of all things] class and really would rather do my
googling & writing from home.

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer S. Davis
Computer Programming, 1st year