Netscape and Mozilla (was: Re: [Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies)

jas at spamcop.net jas at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 2 16:20:02 EST 2003

Quoting Brenda Bell <k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com>:

> Quoting TechChiq <techchiq at hotpop.com>:
>
> > On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 06:09, Dominik Schramm wrote:
> > > I also miss the ability to give arbitrary From: e-mail addresses
> > because
> > > I have several e-mail accounts each with several addresses. Mozilla
> > > allows for only address per account.
> >
> > I enjoy using Evolution for now. Does all I need. I would like to find
>
> I have been looking for the arbitrary from address functionality in a
> Windows-based email client for eons.  I use qmail's dash-extensions to
> create one-off email addresses whenever I need to provide one in order to
> buy something or do a download -- if I ever get spammed at that address, I
> know exactly who the culprit is.  The problem is that I occasionally have
> to respond to a legitimate email at the one-off address.  Every client I
> have makes me add a new account.
>
> When you say Evolution, are you talking about Ximian?  It lets you do this?
>  If so, maybe it's time to switch to a Linux client.

Pine can do this, although the functionality isn't active by default - once you
enable it, you can edit the 'From' field just like you can edit other fields. So
in your case, presumably you'd have From default to 'k15a at theotherbell.com',
then insert '-list-linuxchix' by hand when sending to the list.

I use a similar trick - for example, my whois contact information uses the
registrar's name @ a domain I control. Which makes it very obvious when a
spammer addresses me as 'Dear Verio' and claims that Verio signed up to their
list ;-)

James.