Netscape and Mozilla (was: Re: [Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies)

Dominik Schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Sun Nov 2 13:09:57 EST 2003

Hi,

TechChiq wrote:

>I tried that, but it wasn't at all easy to figure out. Besides, I got
>ticked off at some of the rather unfair news articles that Netscrape had
>on their news/content sites so I rather not use their stuff if I can
>help it. I mean, Mozilla has Netscrapes logos in the bottom left for
>stuff, so I assumed it's Netscrape that comes out with it/develops it?
>Or is Mozilla handled by another group? If so, I *might* give it another
>try.

If I may add my two cents:
Mozilla is not Netscape; when you have some spare time left, just
install them both and you'll notice the difference.
Mozilla is created by the Mozilla Community; the software has
existed under this name since (or even before?) Netscape released
it as Open Source and gave it a free license some years ago.
Of course many Netscape developers still help in developing Mozilla
(this is IMHO a good thing: Netscape pays them to do Open Source
development and they've known the code for years).
What Netscape release as their Communicator Suite (is that what it's
called?) is basically Mozilla + some extra "features", like the ability
to fetch mail from Netscape mail account, the Instant messenger and some
advertising.

What I like about Mozilla Mail and haven't found in other mail clients
are:
* imap, pop3, smtp support, all of them also over SSL
* pgp/gnupg support (through enigmail)
* pkcs#7 client certificate support (i.e. x.509)
* address book can use ldap
* filtering capabilites
* bayesian spam filter
* can handle multiple accounts
* supports nntp as well

What I dislike is that it is quite ressource intense and from time to time
runs a little bit slow on my PII 300 MHz :-)
I also miss the ability to give arbitrary From: e-mail addresses because
I have several e-mail accounts each with several addresses. Mozilla
allows for only address per account.

regards,
dominik