[Techtalk] help! what kind of hack is this?

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sun May 25 18:10:02 EST 2003

At 5/25/03 05:50 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I keep getting these odd messages in my inbox- there are absolutely no forms
>on bratgrrl.com, and I certainly wouldn't use the notoriously insecure Matt
>Wright's scripts anyway. Anyone know what this means?

This is a really weird message. The X-Originating-IP: header is usually a
Hotmail thing, although there's no reason anyone else can't use one as
well. The IP address listed in that header doesn't have a reverse lookup,
but it doesn't match bratgrrl.com's at all.

The Return-Path: and Message-ID: headers indicate that this message
actually got its start on janus.affordablehost.com, not on bratgrrl.com.

I think the X-Script-URL: header is probably falsified.

>Date: 25 May 2003 23:29:02 -0000
>To: none at bratgrrl.com
>From: none at bratgrrl.com ()
>Subject: Ignore to: Spankysparade at o2.pl
>BEGINABCDFORMMAILbratgrrl.com/cgi-bin/formmail.plTSTSendMailTSTENDABCD .
>
>Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
>  (none at bratgrrl.com) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 19:29:02
>
>[Form contents removed by Kai MacTane for total pointlessness.]

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Then, when they spill the demon seed
  Turn and face into the wind.
  All along you still believed...