[Techtalk] Linux gateway and home net clients

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Mon May 19 22:31:17 EST 2003

Hello

I have a Linux gateway for my home network to connect to the Internet. The
gateway has a local DNS and everything works fine on the gateway system. I can
access the Internet without any problems.

Now I have a laptop (W2K) that connects thru the gateway to the Internet.  The
access was working fine until this morning, when I decided to uninstall some
extra packages I installed on the laptop. Now,

- laptop can connect to the Linux system fine.
- laptop can ping outside hosts (www.yahoo.com etc)
- laptop CANNOT access any web site

I started the browser and tried to capture the traffic on with tcpdump and
got the following information:

22:16:17.452888 10.10.10.50.1060 > myhost.homenet.cablespeed.com.domain: [udp sum ok]  20+ A? www.google.com. (32) (ttl 128, id 392, len 60)

22:16:17.547958 myhost.homenet.cablespeed.com.domain > 10.10.10.50.1060:  20 q: A? www.google.com. 1/4/0 www.google.com. A 216.239.53.104 ns: google.com.[|domain] (DF) (ttl 64, id 0, len 148)

Why is the http traffic not making it?  ICMP (ping) packets can be seen.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you in advance.
--
Subba Rao