[Techtalk] Using XChangeProperty function?

Vera Childs vera at dc-vc.net
Fri May 16 06:31:15 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 19:47, Almut Behrens wrote:
> More importantly, though, you probably need to inform the window
> manager of the changed property

Thanks Almut. I tryed the XSendEvent (found an example of doing that
online), and got async errors from the X server.

> might be a good starting point for further experiments... or further
> googling ;)

Actually, it was! :) What you said led me to looking up some other
things. I tried some code used by Gnome to do this (digging through
their source), and that crashed the VM.

Then my search finally led me to a call in Gtk that does it, and when I
made a sample window that uses all Gtk/Gdk calls, it worked! So I've
just done my application in Gtk. :) I was only doing it in Java before
because my task is a short one, and I have been doing GUIs in Java since
December, so that's what I'm comfortably able to do without a big
learning curve. But I found that Gtk was pretty easy to pick up quickly
(I've briefly played with it before), and by yesterday afternoon I was
able to get my window set up to meet the requirements I have.

Thanks very much, Almut!

-Vera