[Techtalk] Problems with Netatalk

PMarshall at flyingrhino.com PMarshall at flyingrhino.com
Thu May 15 15:21:32 EST 2003

Thanks, Mandi, I'll check it out.  The system is a clean install of 8.0,
but maybe something got installed over the top.

Pat

Pat Marshall, MCSE, MCSA, A+
Systems Administrator
Flying Rhinoceros
1440 NW Overton Street
Portland, OR  97209
(503) 552-8700
(503) 221-7282 (Fax)

                    Mandi
                    <mandi at linuxc        To:     PMarshall at flyingrhino.com
                    hick.org>            cc:     techtalk at linuxchix.org
                                         Subject:     Re: [Techtalk] Problems with Netatalk
                    05/15/03
                    01:00 PM

On Thu, 15 May 2003 PMarshall at flyingrhino.com wrote:

> I've got a RedHat 8 server with Netatalk 1.4b2 installed to allow
Macintosh
> connectivity.  As long as someone is logged into the server, the
> Macintoshes can connect to the shares just fine.  As soon as the server
is
> logged out, the Macs get a message that the server is going down for
> maintenance.  This server is also running Samba for 20 Windows boxes with
> no problems.  Any ideas?

was this a machine that you upgraded to Red Hat 8 with the "upgrade"
option from an earlier version of Red Hat?  Red Hat 8 should have shipped
with netatalk 1.5.3, which may alleviate some of your troubles.  I
haven't seen 1.4* since about 6.2, and a lot has changed. "up2date
netatalk" may get you those newer packages, or they'll be on the CDs and
on the ftp sites on the web.

We had to upgrade the stock netatalk in 7.3 to 1.5.5 to fully support
our OSX clients and get rid of some weirdness.  (our appletalk server also
runs samba, too)

HTH

--mandi