[Techtalk] Dual Booting YDL on an iBook

Betty Johnson bettyj at interbaun.com
Wed May 14 15:13:06 EST 2003

Hi Beth

I am gonna preface this with, I have Mandrake 9.1PPC dual-booting with Mac
OS X (same version as you) on Powerbook Titanium G4. This is what I had
to do to be able to boot both Linux and Mac OS. Hope this helps.

When you reboot the machine, before you hear the chime, press
Option-Apple-O-F (all four keys together), and hold it till the screen
turns white.  Then you'll be in Open Firmware.

Type: printenv boot-device

This should give you some really long archaic string (it's the PCI id for
the drive and partition to boot OS X).

To change it, use:
setenv boot-device hd:10,\\:tbxi
printenv boot-device

Make sure it's set properly.  If it is, type:
shut-down

And it will power the machine off.  Turn it on, then you should get the
yaboot screen.

--
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right  thing in the
right place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting