[Techtalk] Executing user-made commands on the command line

Maria Pinjanainen mpinjana at abo.fi
Sun May 11 16:08:41 EST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Berenice wrote:

>May as well post some more questions while I'm here :)
>1.  Where I can see the source code of commands such as ls or rm?
>I'm interested in seeing how they do things like flow control and
>options.
>
>2. If I create my own commands, how can I make them run like standard
>linux commands (ie: just by tying in the command name at the prompt)?
>
>Thanks
>Berenice

My ideas for that second question.
I saw, that you got answers how to use PATH,
I put those commands to /usr/local/bin because they do not mess my distro. It is VERY important. The
right place depends from your distro... Usually /local is that place, some use /opt... ??
That /usr/local/bin is, of cource in my path..
Then I have some commands "just for me" and they are in /home/maria/bin. that is in my path, too.
I have some programs, start commands are in /usr/local/"program"/bin and I have made
symlink to /usr/local/bin...
Nameing commands safely is important...

--

	^-^_mariahdus_^-^