[Techtalk] sharing files - ssh and ftp

kim dang kim_dang1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 12:50:06 EST 2003

> Is there any reason you want to do this with ssh? Is
> samba or NFS an option?
>
> Hamster

Well, i'm a newbie to this so can you please expand on
the Samba and NFS idea. I am a little familiar with
both but mostly SAMBA. I have Samba set up right now
for my private Lan and only allow people on my 192.
net behind the firewall to access it.

Some of these users/friends that will access my linux
server are not in the same state as me, i.e. more than
3000miles. so I was just thinking that SAMBA would be
slow and I read that NFS was super slow protocol so
should only be used on local lan. Therefore, I thought
I should set up an SSH server or an FTP server.

Also, I have the SSH server running already , and if i
could just get it so users can only access their home
and the /pub directory, that would take care of it all
i think.

Best, kim