[Techtalk] Adding a new hard drive

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Thu May 1 22:09:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003 PMarshall at flyingrhino.com wrote:

> The link worked great with just one exception - it didn't have you create
> the directory /mnt/hdc1, but I figured that puppy out.  All is up and
> working.  Thanks very much!

Hi,

You can, of course, mount the filesystem that you just created on the new
drive more or less anywhere you want.

Personally, I'd love to have an 80 GB drive to hold my home directory, so
I would mount the drive somewhere handy, like /mnt/hdc1, or where-ever.
Then I'd copy over everything that was in the home directories, the
easiest way to do this is to use a program called rsync (ask if you can't
figure it out, hint - use the -a option :)  to duplicate the directory
structure.  You need to do this as root and with no-one else logged in of
course.

Once it's all copied over then you can move /home to /oldhome (so you have
a backup in case it goes wrong :), and then make an empty directory as
/home again, and mount the new filesystem there instead.  When you're
happy it's all worked, you can remove /oldhome.

I realise that this is glossing over a lot of things, but I believe in
people's ability to figure things out for themselves - it helps the
learning process.  Oh, and if /home is already a filesystem of it's own
right, then this won't work at all :)

If you aren't clear on anything, just ask :)

Maria