[Techtalk] Re: installing SCSI module.

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Sun Mar 30 15:38:34 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Vytas Janusauskas wrote:

> My tape drive host computer packed it in last night.  So, I am moving
> the SCSI adapter(AHA-2910B) to a Debian host (2.4.18).  Searching the
> web seems to point me in the direction that I need to install the SCSI
> module (aic7xx.0).  Online docs state that I must use either modprobe
> or insmod to accomplish the installation.  Unfortunately it's not
> working for me, no doubt I am missing something.  Anyone have a step
> by step outline or link to follow to activate the SCSI controller.

Hi

you need a few more things than that, sadly, but it's relatively simple.

Firstly, the module you would need is called aic7xxx.  If you already
have the module, courtesy of the debian installation, this should simply
be a case of "modprobe aic7xxx".
When inserting a module, no news is good news, and typing "dmesg" should
reveal the scsi module initiating in the last few lines of output, which
should look something like this, for example:

scsi2 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
        <Adaptec 19160B Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
  Vendor: HP        Model: HP35480A          Rev: 1109
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
blk: queue f7e3aa18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
(scsi2:A:2): 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 8)

next, you need something to access the tape drive, so "modprobe st"

dmesg should then show something like this:

st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4, s/g segs
16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 2, lun 0

If this works, I imagine you will want to make it permanent.  To do this
you will need to create a file in /etc/modutils/ called "scsi" and put a
single line in it with "alias scsi-hostadapter aic7xxx" and run
"update-modules" as root.

If it doesn't work, you'll need to venture into the land of kernel
compiles, ask again for more help there :)

Failing that, since it's scsi, you can always try a sacrifice.  I believe
the sacrifice of a goat, using a bronze knife with an ebony handle
carved with the appropriate symbol
(http://www.iomega.com/support/images/sup_scsi_symbol.gif) on both sides,
on the first night of a waning moon after full moon should suffice[1].

This may require several tries in order to get it *just* right in just the
right way that the gods of scsi will smile upon you. [2]

It's tricky, but doable, also don't forget to cut yourself on the
un-deburred edge of the case, and bleed into it, to further appease the
gods.

Good Luck

Maria

[1] Yes, this is a joke :-)