[Techtalk] Another IP Masq question

Berenice showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 05:30:23 EST 2003

I was re-reading the LDP IP masq howtos and found a couple of points
that could be related to problems I've been having networking windows
with a linux host.  Here's what it said:

   Setup all the clients to use your ISP's HTTP proxy if they have
   one, use a transparent proxy (WARNING - I've heard reports of
   transparent proxying to be very slow on very big networks), or run
   squid on your new linux gateway. (This is optional, but
   preferrable for large networks)

   Be sure to specify a DNS when setting up your clients.
   Otherwise you will get errors on the clients saying 'cannot
   resolve address' etc. If DNS used to work (URL address worked) but
   doesn't after you setup Masquerading, this is because your
   ISP's/network's DHCP server can no longer tell you what the DNS
   address is.

I'm confused about these points because some people have told me that
I need samba and squid and a DNS if I want internet connection
sharing to work.  Some people told me I don't. Who should I listen
to?????

If I want to follow these points, how can I find out if my sister's
ISP,Telstra, has an HTTP proxy? And about the second point - my
sister gets same error message when she tries to access the internet
from her computer (windows client).  Is a DNS  necessary to fix this
problem?

Many thanks
Berenice