[Techtalk] Mutt O'phobia

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Tue Mar 25 15:56:57 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:59:48PM -0500, anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Siobhan,
>
> Thanks for offering me help. I run the command ps -ef | grep
> '[s]endmail' which gives me
>
> root       719     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
> connections
> smmsp      729     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
> runner at 01:00:00

I'm not familiar with Sendmail, but as Siobhan suggested, did you try
telnetting to port 25?  I think fetchmail would fail if it wasn't
connecting to the local smtp server, so I'd guess it's running since
it's flushing messages.

Can you send messages to yourself without using mutt? As in
user at localhost (so as to bypass fetchmail)?  If not, could it be that
sendmail is delivering mail somewhere else?  When you run the Unix mail
program, does it see messages that mutt doesn't?

I guess the point here is to figure out if there's a problem with
sendmail first, then move on to mutt, then move on to fetchmail ...

Jen