[Techtalk] mutt/pgp: decryption

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Mon Mar 24 09:56:21 EST 2003

I'm attempting to figure out how to exchange encrypted messages
using GnuPG and Mutt.  I've read the Mutt-i, GnuPG and PGP Howto at
tldp.org and done some googling, but it's still unclear to me how to
get Mutt to automatically decrypt encrypted messages (or even how to
use some key combination in Mutt to decrypt encrypted messages).  My
configuration includes the standard decryption command:

set pgp_decrypt_command="/usr/bin/gpg   --passphrase-fd 0
--no-verbose --quiet  --batch  --output - %f"

And when I save an encrypted message to a text file and run gpg
--decrypt, it decrypts just fine.  I've had no problems signing or
encrypting outgoing messages.  I'm running Mutt 1.4.1i and GnuPG
1.0.6.

Is Mutt *supposed* to be able to automatically decrypt messages?  I
got that impression from one of the pages I read in my googling.
Despite that, I tried binding a key to the "decrypt-copy" function,
but Mutt complains that there's "no such function in map."

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/