[Techtalk] pdfs and mutt

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 19 09:28:06 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> It was just the auto_view set in mutt

Yep. But unless mutt has had an HTML viewer implemented since I last
checked, it was *still* calling on an external program to do this. If
you didn't have a ~/.mailcap file, it was checking the /etc/mailcap to
find the program to use. You didn't explicitly set this up, but
nevertheless, your system probably had a /etc/mailcap, and that's where
mutt looks *by default* for MIME handlers, for both auto_view and (v)iew
purposes.

Is there any chance you can privately send me your system's /etc/mailcap
file (don't send it to the list - attachments are discouraged)?

I will try and find which program was doing this, because it wasn't
just mutt doing it all by itself somehow - mutt doesn't have a HTML
renderer as far as I know.

If I do find anything useful, I'll post back to the list.

-Mary