[Techtalk] Internal modems and RH 7.2?

Eeva Järvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Wed Mar 12 09:48:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Jessica Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed RH 7.2 on the second disk in my home machine which normally
> runs Win95 and an internal winmodem (SwannSmart II). Does anyone know if
> getting this modem working under RH is do-able, and if so, how to do it?

It depends on whether there is a linmodem driver for the modem.  See
www.linmodems.org.  http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20030303a.html is an
extensive list of linmodems, but I couldn't find SwannSmart on it.
However, it might be supported because it's the chipset, not tha
manufacturer's label that's important.  The driver versions are usually
kernel-version-dependent, so you might have to compile the driver, and
this means you have to have kernel source installed.

HTH,
Eeva