[Techtalk] Course proposal

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sat Jun 28 10:57:48 EST 2003

I've toyed for a while now with the idea of running a course, and I've decided
to see whether anyone else would be interested. The topic I'm thinking of is
the UNIX filesystem, and the various fun things that can be done with it.

The course would be aimed at moderately able beginners. Prerequisites would
be:

*	a working knowlege of the shell
*	a working UNIX box on which you have root access

The course would (try to) be accesssible to someone with no idea of how the
filesystem is put together, teaching the concepts behind it, how to mount
things, how to use /etc/fstab, taking in NFS and SMB, loopback, chroot jails,
right the way up to Funky Complicated Stuff like the automounter (which I
confess I've never got the hang of) and ramdisks.

So - what's your reaction? Would you be interested in all of it? Part of it?
Which bits? More experienced people - is there anything in particular you
reckon I ought to include if anyone shows any interest?

Meredydd