[Techtalk] taking the wireless plunge

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jun 22 14:00:26 EST 2003

Thanks for good advice, all. Further adventures will be posted as they occur.

A wee warning for anyone thinking of buying a new Thinkpad: they are great
machines, this is my third one. But mine came with NO CDs whatsoever- no
software disks, no recovery disk. The recovery disk is a separate, hidden
partition on the hard drive. As I use mine as a desktop replacement, and am
not globe-trotting in a way that would make a recovery CD inconvenient, I
find this to be a real PITA. It's about 1.5 gigabytes I cannot use.

I called and ordered a recovery CD, they ship them on request at no charge.
We'll see if I can repartition the drive and get that lost space back. It
will be a dual-boot with Linux, of course. I would love to not have to have
winderz, but as long as my customers use it I probably ought to stay up to
date. :)