[Techtalk] RAM on RH7.0

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Thu Jun 19 20:51:43 EST 2003

Linda,

> I remember reading that there is a way to get Linux to recognize the
> additional memory, but I don't know where I read it.

Its possible to dictate to the kernel how much memory your machine has.

If you're using grub as the boot loader, then I cant help you, you'll have
to ask grub people, but if you're using lilo, then adding the line

append="mem=160M"

and then run

lilo

Should get your RAM recognised. There is of course the possibility of the
RAM being faulty, and thats why its not being recognised. Does the laptop
bios recognise the correct amount?

Hamster