[Techtalk] apache URL "look back"

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Wed Jun 18 11:24:53 EST 2003

At 6/17/03 08:55 PM , Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

>I'm having a problem getting the URL look back working on one server. If I
>try this installation:
>
>         http://megatron.utm.utoronto.ca/~cell/cell.php/class/28
>(and yes the URL is right -- if you remove /class/28 you'll see the "base"
>file)
>it doesn't work, but this one:
>
>         http://lang.utoronto.ca/dev/cell.php/class/28
>is fine.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Could your cell.php be having trouble parsing the ~ in the request
    URI string?
2) Could you post the code of the cell.php?
3) When I try "View source" on either cell.php page, it freezes my
    browser (Mozilla 1.2.1 on Win98). Very strange.

>Is there something I need to do to the Apache server to get the look back
>feature to work?

Check out:
http://www.evolt.org/article/Search_Engine_Friendly_URLs_with_PHP_and_Apache
/17/15049/

I think it's probably just a matter of getting your processURI() function
(or its logical equivalent, regardless of name) to handle things correctly.
You'll probably need some special logic to handle cases with tildes.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Hey, sister Moonshine, hold me 'til the break of dawn,
  Hold me long,
  Hold me hard,
  Hold me 'til the shadows fade away..."
                                                 --The Mission UK,