[Techtalk] formatting half a mirrored raid...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Thu Jun 12 21:10:27 EST 2003

Maria Blackmore wrote:

>If I could take a moment to be pedantic, what mke2fs is doing is making a
>filesystem, the drive is itself already formatted.
>
>What you actually do, though? Did you interrupt mke2fs?

No, I didn't even realize what I'd done until I
went to mkraid the new raid and sdd1 wasn't
ready.

>If you interrupted it,

It finished...

>Presumably you are using the multiple devices software raid, in which
>case, let's have a quick look at the output from "cat /[proc]/mdstat", which
>should look a little like this:

(md1 is the new raid, md0 is the old)

   Personalities : [raid0] [raid1]
   md1 : active raid0 sdd1[2] sdc1[1] sdb1[0]
         215479488 blocks 32k chunks

   md0 : active raid1 hda1[0]
         117218176 blocks [2/1] [U_]

lsraid -a /dev/md0 gives me this:

   [dev 9, 0] /dev/md0   ####bunch of numbers#### online
   [dev 3, 1] /dev/hda1  ####bunch of numbers#### good
   [dev ?, ?] (unknown)  ####bunch of numbers#### missing

So... the drive I destroyed is "missing" in action.
What can I do to recreate the (reiserfs) raid?

I'm copying everything off onto the new drives now.

Thankfully I was protected, at least in part,
from total loss.

Walt

-~

     Nothing that isn't a real crime makes a man appear so
     contemptible and little in the eyes of the world as
     inconsistency.
                         Joseph Addison