[Techtalk] Configuring local CUPS printer on Slackware

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Sat Jun 7 21:44:48 EST 2003

Subba writes:

> Using the Browser on port 631,  I have add a printer and then a class. When I
> try to print a test page I get this following error message:
>
> ---------------
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.
> ---------------
>
> The cupsd server does prompt me for userid/password for which I use the root
> and root password.
>
> Why am I getting this error?  Do I need to creat class first then printer or
> vice versa? Does that sequence really matter?

As I recall, it was pretty simple for me to set up the cups server but
your error message leads me to wonder if the user and group
permissions on your printer device are set correctly.

On mine:

# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/lp0

so /dev/lp0 owned by the "lp" group, which is good because cupsd runs
as the "lp" user as seen in cupsd.conf:

User lp
Group sys

which is part of the lp group:

# grep ^lp /etc/group
lp:*:7:lp

so anyone in the lp group may write to /dev/lp0.

Other than that, I'm not sure why you're having trouble. :-(

Elizabeth