[Techtalk] Trying to patch the kernel...

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 15:26:52 EST 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:33:35 +1000
Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2003, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> > Whereas I have no clue as to which distro you are running, and the
> > commands to get the most recent sources vary from distro to distro
> > (also I have no recent experience with RedHat, which seems to be
> > widely used), I'll limit myself to the kernel.org version.
>
> You'll generally find that it's quite hard to apply a patch to
> anything apart from the "pristine" (kernel.org) sources - the distros
> make quite a lot of changes.

Hmmm...  I have patched Red Hat kernels a whole lot of times for a whole
lot of reasons.  I have yet to have a problem doing it.  I've also
patched Vector Linux kernels.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

Mandrake... hmmm... this is a 9.1 machine.  It has inspired me... to go
back to Red Hat.  Mandrake kernels are very heavily patched for
everything from xfs (SGI file system) support to interesting device
patches.  I suspect they are harder to patch than those from most
distros.

All the best,
Caity