[Techtalk] Re-installing GRUB, dual boot win2k

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Jun 4 08:40:18 EST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003, Beth Johnson wrote:
> I've heard that GRUB can boot win2k and I'd really like to have do
> away with the booting from floppy, especially since there's been a
> kernel upgrade that I haven't been able to boot into!

It certainly can boot Windows 2000 - it's being doing that for me since
I installed Red Hat 8 - the default config "just worked".

The only potential problem with booting Win2K from GRUB or LILO (I have
read) is that some virus checkers view it as highly suspicious if
Windows wasn't booted by its own bootloader. But I've never personally
had any problems.

> Here's my partition set up:
> ~~~~~~~
> /dev/hda1	/mnt/Win	Windows 2000
> /dev/hda5	/mnt/Win2	Windows 2000
> /dev/hdd1	/boot
> /dev/hdd2	/home
> /dev/hdd5	/
<snip>
> ~~~~~~~
> title WIN2K
> 	rootnoverify (hd0,4)
> 	makeactive 1
> 	chainloader +1

It's trying to boot the Windows install on hda5.

Note that hda5 is Linux's name for it, Windows probably calls it D: and
GRUB calls it (hd0,4) - there's nothing special or canonical about any
of those names.  Linux and GRUB are more precise about where it is in
the partition layout than Windows is.

I'm almost certain that you want it to be booting an install from hda1
(since Windows likes being on the primary master's first partition and
you've said nothing that indicated that you've put the Windows C: drive
on hda5).

To boot from hda1, change the Windows rootnoverify line to read:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

Check
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/html_node/Naming-convention.html for
GRUB's naming conventions (and note in particular that Linux counts from
1 when numbering partitions, and GRUB counts from 0).

-Mary