[Techtalk] Re: communicating with a switch

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Jun 3 18:08:46 EST 2003

Heya --

Quoth Hamster (Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:37:47PM +0200):
> The console cable is plugged into COM2 (I believe this is ttyS1) of my linux
> box. The settings it needs are 8N1 no flow control.
>
> Back on my linux box, I've installed the programme minicom, but I cant
> work out how to tell it to use a direct connection rather than talk
> through a modem.

	Have you tried invoking it with the -s option to get to its
setup config?  Here are example instructions:

http://x12wulfgar01.nsls.bnl.gov/3BD/minicom.html

	Minicom doesn't really care whether you're using a modem or a
direct serial connection -- just make sure that it's not trying to send
any modem init strings in the setup, and change the other settings to be
sure they match your switch's serial settings.  Also, make sure you're
using the right type of cable -- null modem or rollover or whatever your
switch's docs say to use.

	Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Raven