[Techtalk] How do I build a Linux Blackbox?

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Tue Jul 29 19:58:03 EST 2003

On  0, Andrea Landaker <qirien at icecavern.net> wrote:
> > > Regardless the function of the blackbox, what are the minimum set of
> > > tools that need to be left alone on a black box system?
>
> Hmm, maybe I'm just missing out on some terminology, but what exactly is a
> "black box"?  In general terms, it usually refers to something whose inner
> workings are unknown, but can be used anyway, but it seems like you are
> talking about something different.

Andrea,

That is right.  It can also be called an appliance these days. You rack mount
the Linux black box/appliance and plug in the cables and you are all set to
go.  Basic configuration of this device may be needed using command line or
Web based interface.   All that the customer/user needs to know is that it
does job X.

Using my original question, if I want to install a Linux firewall (iptables),
then what are the minimum set of tools/libraries that are required to make
this type of Linux blackbox?  What if iptbales has a bug and need needs to be
updated then what do you need on this box to have the latest security patches?

Elizabeth, thanks for your input.

--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com