[Techtalk] How do I build a Linux Blackbox?

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Tue Jul 29 07:38:11 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

I am interested in building a Linux blackbox. The typical distros that I
switch between are Slackware and Debian.  When I do a typical install of these
distro, I pretty much install everything.  Once I configure a system for a
specific need I would like to strip off the unnecesary "stuff".  For example,
the Web server, GCC compiler need not be on this black box anymore.  It is
easy to remove them as well.  How do you determine the dependency chain for
the "removable" tools?

I do think leaving the GCC compiler on it is important since there are patches
and kernel updates to be installed frequently.

Regardless the function of the blackbox, what are the minimum set of tools
that need to be left alone on a black box system?

Thank you in advance for any information.

--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com