[Techtalk] Partitioning issues.

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Sun Jul 27 11:09:20 EST 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Staci wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
>
> > Provided fdisk does not alter the data on the physical partitions
> > themselves but rather only alters the partition table on the drive,
> > and provided that there is no timestamp or other type of state that
> > cannot be re-created, then it sounds to me as though it would work but
> > I have not tried it.
>

> That's what i've been thinking.  unfortunately, it doesn't work quite
> that easily.  Once you've altered the table, it wants a new fs, and it
> won't take no for an answer. :/

Once again this advice is assuming you previously had a linux partition.
I don't know enough to help you if you had had a windows partition and you
broke it up into anything.  The advice may still be valid, but I don't
know.

Now you say:  "Once you've altered the table, it wants a new fs, and it
won't take no for an answer. :/"  BUT you must have been able to give ti
the answer No already, otherwise you'd have put over your new fs.  So...

a) run fdisk and turn the partition table back EXACTLY to what it was like
before you reparitioned it.

b) stop it at the point where it attempts to create a new fs as you've
done before.  Labelling the partition as a particular fs isn't creating a
new fs.

c) check that your kernal can see this partition (reboot if necessary)

d) check that this partition does NOT appear to be in /etc/fstab

e) boot into Linux, manually mount the disk as readonly, see what data you
can find.

Please let me know if you have any specific problems with any of these.
If this continues to be a problem, perhaps someone in the Linuxchix group
in your area (if you're lucky enough to have one) can get together with
you and you can both go through it together?

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |