[Techtalk] Partitioning issues.

Staci scorcora at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 25 00:55:16 EST 2003

Hiya Folks,

Okay, I took bad advice and now I've got trouble.
Someone told me as long as there was enuf room, fdisk would be fine for a nondestructive partioning tool.
BS.  Once you remake the partition, you have to re-make the filesystem.  And when you remake the filesystem, you
lose all the data.  So I deleted a big partition and remade it one big and one little, like I wanted.
But I of course now can't mount it.

I have since downloaded and installed gpart and parted, in an attempt to rescue this drive.

Does anyone have any experience trying to do something like this?
The data is still there, I never made a new FS or did anything to specifically overwrite, I just shuffled things
around and made new labels.  The vast majority of the data should be untouched....but how do I get it back?

Any help is welcome.
thanks!
sl